Computers Names: ______________________
Mr. Penza _________________________
MS/EXCEL: TO BE ASSIGNED AFTER BASIC + / - * FORMULAS ARE UNDERSTOOD.
PURPOSE: The students will develop a
spreadsheet and come up with an economical
and inexpensive travel plan to go across
the country by car.
WEBSITES: WWW.EDMUNDS.COM WWW.CAR.COM WWW.MAPQUEST.COM
1. Students break into small groups of 2-3 or individual.
2. Break down roles:
- Car finder: Look for best fuel efficiency and tanksize.
- Spreadsheet: Organize the spreadsheet layout.
- Map Planner: Produce the destination directions/map.
3. Find a car that you will use to take this trip. You should look for
the following bits of information:
make/ model: ____________ mpg highway: ____ fuel tank size: ____
(! Don't worry about the sticker price of the car !)
4. Layout the spreadsheet template. (see example) you can begin working out the formulas for each cell even if you don't have the numbers yet.
5. Plot your journey on map quest. You will go
from: The Stage Neck Inn, 8 Stage Neck Rd, York, Me
To: The San Diego Zoo. 2920,
6. Now you will plan your start and stops based on your gas capacity and mileage. Remember that you must stop for gas before you run out.
7. Fill out the Excel sheet with all necessary information. Use formulas where necessary.
8. Add 15 minutes to your total time each time you stop for gas.
9. When completed, report out your total mileage, total time, and total dollars spent.
TOTAL MILEAGE: ___________ TOTAL TIME: _______ TOTAL $ : _____________
10. Compare and determine which team has developed the best plan.
GRADE: Your grade will be based on the following chart.
Outstanding Economical Trip.
Spreadsheet is accurate.
Trip is planned but expensive.
Spreadsheet lacks accuracy but understanding is effident.
Trip is not logically planned. Spreadsheet template is sketched but formulas are mostly incomplete or incorrect.
Assignment is not complete. Lack of understanding or effort is evident.